Author Archives: Oddfellow
We are but days away from our 2nd Birthday All-Nighter and couldn’t be more happy!
As a lovely treat we are dragging an unreal DJ from over Holland way to play for you. As he’s not a known name over here I thought I’d extract some information through the medium of email!
Hello Nicon! Everything good in your part of the world?
All good here man.. enjoying a spliff with my clogs on while im chillin in my windmill looking at my tulips… your standard usual dutch day hehe..
I’m really jealous. Clogs have been illegal over here for decades now….
Anyway, first of all I’d like to say we’re really happy to be bringing you over for our 2nd birthday shindig. Been following your various labels since 2007, and you’ve put out a good range of music under the Dubstep genre. Could you give us some information on your musical background, and what led you to set up the Subway Music Group?
Well I used to play a lot of DNB back in 2003/2004 and I always loved the music coming out of the UK, (Grime, 2step, Garage that kinda stuff…) but never really listened to it in the same way as I did with DNB, until I heard Dubstep…
Thought a lot of it was shit until I got a hold of some DMZ stuff and old Skream, Benga & Distance material. That was when I worked for Triple Vision who already did ALOT of DNB labels like, Citrus, Fokuz, Love etc..
After a lot of talking I founded the Subway label together with the Triple Vision team and everything kinda exploded from then on. Adding labels like Tube10, Scum & Destination to mix only 4 years later.
What’s next for the label(s)? Anything you’d like to tell us about? That Benny Page release has been a long time coming.
The Benny Page release hasn’t been signed that long yet actually it has been floating around on dub for a while already :]
Well for subway we got a lotttttttt of new stuff coming up like 12″s from Akkachar, Tim Ismag, 501, Antiserum & Vent, with SCUM we got releases by Sinister Souls, Nicksn & Torpex, Robokop & Crushington coming up and last but not least on Tube10 we got Distal, Epworth and Blackwax… so there is LOADS to look out for this year!
How long have you been DJing for? You seem to play out frequently around your home country.
I’m doing shows about 6 years now… with ALOT of years of practice before haha
What can we expect from you in a set?
A lot of different vibes.. from oldskool to the latest bangers.. and maybe something that goes even further… just keep your ears pealed!
In your opinion, how is the scene doing at the moment, both in general, and in the Netherlands?
Its going great man… a lot of new people are getting in contact with Dubstep cause of all these new sounds popping up…. There are more big names coming up every year and its about time too… some people may not like the attention they are generating but hey Dubstep is about diversity and that’s what going on at the moment… you got the party heads, the deep heads and tearout guys… just like any other good new genre that ever was invented. Now its just a matter of keeping it interesting.
Good to hear! I personally think there has never been a better time for music in general, especially for bass music and the many genres that fall under it. Is there anyone who’s up and coming / old and established who you think should be getting more attention?
Yeah Benny Page comes to mind. Sinister Souls, and guys like Eprom.. Lots of people are staring themselves blind at just one corner of Dubstep while there is so much going on at the moment..
This will be your first time in Wigan. We are a friendly but weird people and I’m sure you’ll have a lovely time. Before I started harassing you did you know about the place?
Hell no… hahaha I know a lot of places in England not just London… but tbh I’d never ever heard of Wigan but i reckon you guys never heard of my home town as well haha
Cheers for the words mon. Be seeing you soon!
I’m not hard to miss. I’m the Dutch nutcase
You can catch Nicon this Saturday 14th May @ our 2nd BIRTHDAY in Wigan town…
As our next night fast approaches, I thought I’d better bring more attention to this beast of a mix from the Frisky one. All his own productions mixed to perfection. Something to keep you all going til Saturday.
The Squires have carved an interesting sound for themselves, with the objective of making you dance like a fool while simultaneously feeling like your mind has gone wrong. Personal favs so far are Lypo, Old Skool Shit VIP, Harder Things and Emptyin Full Clips but every track is sounding stronger than some kind of steroid / cement combo.
Its out on October 11th at all the usual places, and a few weird ones, through the mighty Rag & Bone imprint…..
Having followed and threatened many a local producer, Mr Leadbelly has put together this beauty of a mix to show off what Manchester has been getting up to. Download and listen if you would please.
01. Synkro – If Only [Smokin' Sessions]
02. Erykah Badu – Window Seat (Chimpo Rmx) [Unreleased]
03. Acre – TYMWRP [Dub]
04. Knowledge & Catacombs – Black Arrow [Dub]
05. Acre – Effected the Most [Dub]
06. Dom Hz – Real [Subdepth Records]
07. Indigo – Cosmos [On The Edge]
08. MRK1 – ???? [Dub]
09. Dom Hz – Soldiers On Drugs [Dub]
10. Dom Hz – Planet (CBA Rmx) [Dub]
11. Kydro – Glad 2 Die [Dub]
12. Dark Elixer – Zodiac [Forthcoming]
13. Ridz – Dark E [Dub]
14. Sin-Seer – Thats What They Call It (Dark Elixer’s Dark mix) [Dub]
15. Sin-Seer – Thats What They Call It (Dark Elixer Rmx) [Dub]
16. Dash Total’D – Cloud Of Lead [Dub]
17. Dash Total’D – Badger Watch [Dub]
18. Dark Elixer – Let Me Introduce You To Leadbelly [Exclusive]
19. Dark Elixer – Just Skank [Dub]
20. Dark Elixer – The Beast Within [Dub]
21. Dash Total’D – Bassfook [Forthcoming]
22. Dash Total’D – Bassfook (Dark Elixer’s Ahh Feck Rmx) [Dub]
23. Dash Total’D – Junkie VIP [Dub]
24. Dash Total’D – Headknot [Dub]
25. Dark Elixer – Be A Ninja [Dub]
26. Ridz – Alone In The Dark [Dub]
27. Biome – Feeling Good [Biscuit Factory Records]
28. CBA – Psychopomp [Dub]
29. Chimpo -Nasty [Biscuit Factory Records]
30. CBA – Hypnopomp [Dub]
31. Biome – Customs [Biscuit Factory Records]
32. Acre – Particle Horizon [Dub]
33. Synkro – Angels [White Label]
34. Indigo – Home [On The Edge]
35. Dom Hz – I Know [Subdepth Records]
36. Synkro – Deep Down [Smokin' Sessions]
New Zealand sub-botherers Truth release their debut album today on Aquatic Lab so I thought I’d give it a shout on here. You can grab it / have a listen over at Chemical Records.
On first listen I’d say ‘Dead Silence’ and ‘Terror Planet VIP’ are stand outs but there isnt a bad track on the thing. In my mind they seem to be sticking to the original dubstep half time ethos of space and atmosphere but doing it a lot better than most out there. All the sub/basslines sound amazing as well. Tracks such as ‘Fatman’ will ruin you on a good enough system.
Along with this release I’ve stumbled upon a hefty mix they did for their USA Tour.
01. Truth – Juno – forthcoming on “Puppets” LP
02. Datsik – Firepower – Dub
03. Antiserum & Ill-Esha – Gold Rush – Dub
04. Truth & Ben Verse – Undercurrent – forthcoming on “Puppets” LP
05. Vent – Flava – Dub
06. Datsik – Mechano – Dub
07. Truth – Masters of the Stars – forthcoming on “Puppets” LP
08. Truth – Burglar – forthcoming on “Puppets” LP
09. Joker & TC – It Aint Got a Name –Dub
10. Benga – Stop Watching – Digital Soundboy
11. Liquid Stranger – Ripple – Rottun
12. Crushington & Black Sun Empire – Wolf Moon – Dub
13. Babylon System & Antiserum – California Style – Argon
14. SP – Trust Nobody VIP – Dub
15. Truth – Lab Rat – forthcoming on “Puppets” LP
16. Truth – International – Deep Medi Dub
17. Silkie – Bass Junkie – Deep Medi Dub
18. 12th Planet & Antiserum – Purple & Gold – Dub
19. Crushington – Paper Walls – Dub
20. Truth – More Dangerous – forthcoming on “Puppets” LP
21. Truth – Amnesia – Deep Medi Dub
22. Truth – Indigo Mood – forthcoming on “Puppets” LP
23. Von D & Riskotheque – Like a Bird – Disfigured Dubz Dub
24. Truth & Dutty Ranks –Worlds Apart – Argon Dub
He smashed several layers of joy out of Wigans respective face on Saturday and had a really good time doing so. As he is such a gent he has decided to pass on some exclusive bits for everyone to enjoy!
Sorry if you have been having problems accessing these files over the last day. Whoever is hosting this blog has been spilling drinks all over the place causing untold ball-ache. If it happens again in the future then feel free to swear at us but try again an hour later and all should be fine.
Reso really did do some damage when he played for us. I think there are a fair few people who still can’t get over it to be honest. You spot them round town with a vacant look in their eyes wondering what the hell happened to them!
On that note I have just spotted this mix over at The Fat Club and thought I’d give it a ruddy good linking to. Reso’s latest D&B based productions have been grabbing people’s attention so this mix is very timely indeed. This mix lacks his own productions but you can hear some samples over on his myspace.
01. Survival – Masquerade
02. Rockwell – Full circle
03. Ulterior Motive – Featherweight
04. Mindscape & Zero Method – Dissonant
05. Phace – Strange Science
06. Spectrasoul – Supression
07. Ulterior Motive – 2098
08. Photek – Minotaur
09. Outrage – Seduction (Paradox Remix)
10. Gridlok – Bottomfeeder
11. Icicle – Minimal Funk
12. Hydro, Mindscape & Jade – Black Lotus (Break Remix)
13. Noisia & Phace – Outsource (Misanthrope Rmx)
14. Chook – Optimus Prime
15. Prolix – Molecules In Motion
16. Instra:mental – Thugtonika
17. Naibu – Dusk
18. Blu Mar Ten – By The Time My Light Reaches You I’ll Be Gone
19. Seba – Blaze In Fade Out
20. Commix – Japanese Electronics
21. Helios – First Dream Called Ocean (Stray Remix)